Mother Nature seems to be throwing a lot our way these days, from snow to one “polar vortex” after another!
But rest assured, warmer temperatures are headed our way. Spring weather is just around the corner. Even though that brings out plenty of beautiful wildlife and gorgeous blooms on trees, there’s also one thing to keep in mind — rain.
Don’t let a little rain spoil your time at the Lake of the Ozarks. Here are five activities to do at the Lake and still have FUN…even when the weather isn’t so nice!
- Visit the area Arcades and eat some fudge at Grandma’s Candy Kitchen.
- Go Spelunking: Research area caves and explore on your own or visit these great Caves with a professional guide – Bridal Cave or Jacob’s Cave.
- Plan an Educational Day Trip – visit any one of the area museums and visitor centers. Ravenwoods Estate is definitely worth checking out!
- Go Fishing on your covered dock – It so refreshing to breathe in the spring rains on a dock. And remember — the fish don’t know it’s raining! 🙂
- Stay inside: Play a game, read a book or put together a challenging puzzle as a family. There are so many options to consider! Let the creativity flow. I love this quote from Marcel Proust: “A change in the weather is sufficient to recreate the world and ourselves.
Do you have any other indoor activities that you love at the Lake of the Ozarks? Leave your ideas in the comments below!
Although many people who visit the lake spend time boating and in the outdoors, there’s always those times when the weather doesn’t cooperate or guests need a break from the hot summer sun. A great way to keep guests happy and entertained is to have fun things to do indoor. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- DVD Collection: You don’t have to go out and buy the newest releases, but keep a collection of kids movies and maybe some classics for adults. Family movies are a great option for the whole family to watch. Find DVDs for less on Amazon.com or eBay.
- A Kids Collection: Board games, crayons and coloring books, and assorted card games are great for kids!! Some of the best vacation memories are spent competing in a friendly game of Go Fish or Chutes and Ladders (remember that game?). Believe us, parents will thank you!
- Books: A small book collection of poetry, illustrated books for little ones, or coffee table books of scenic nature scenes are great choices to keep on hand. Have a variety so guests will bound to find something interesting.
- Listening Pleasure: Do you have a stereo system? With everyone having iPods and other audio devices, it’s a good idea to have a cord that will hook up to the stereo system.
- Outside Options: Don’t forget the outside areas! Add some fun yard games like washers, bean bag toss, or horseshoes. Your guests will love it!! The result — happier guests and return renters!
Ready to go mining? We’re not talking dark, damp coal mines, where you’ll have to bring your own pick axe.
This is the kind of mining you and your kids will love! Miner Mike’s is the Lake of the Ozark’s indoor destination that will entertain for hours. This 35,000 square foot family fun center has exciting rides, challenging games, and delicious food.
Here are some of the things you can look forward to during a visit to Miner Mike’s:
- The runaway Mine Train Coaster takes you over dips, bends, and through a rock tunnel!
- Bump and shake when you give the Gold Mine Bumper Cars a spin.
- The Miner’s Maze will provide hours of exploration and fun with its tubes, slides, ball pits and power blasters!
- Let the Chuck Wagon Ferris Wheel take you two stories high.
- The Longbranch Saloon offers quality pizza, burgers, appetizers and cold beer.
Visit Miner Mike’s website to find out more before making a visit. Rain or shine, it’s always a good time!